Is it a quiche or a frittata? I don't know. All I know is it's yummy!
I love quiche, mostly for the flakey and buttery crust and cheesy goodness inside. But since we've been cutting back on carbs (to shed a few pounds) it's not the best option. That's where this crustless quiche recipe comes into play. It's low-carb and BONUS is so good! It has all the yumminess of a regular quiche. Ok, almost all (you know, the whole crust thing.) So grab your cast-iron pan and whip up this yummy quiche for breakfast, brunch, or lunch. I think you'll love it.
Crustless Mushroom, Spinach, and Tomato Quiche
1 T butter
1/2 onion sliced thin
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes quartered
1 cup mushrooms sliced thin
4-8 oz frozen spinach thawed and water squeezed out (I used 8oz, but 4oz would be ok)
2/3 cup half n half
1 cup Italian blend shredded cheese
dash of nutmeg
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. In a medium cast-iron skillet over medium heat add onion and cook until translucent. About 5 minutes.
2. Stir in cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and spinach. Cook 2 more minutes.
3. Whisk cream, eggs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl.
4. Layer 1/2 cup cheese over vegetables in the pan. Add egg mixture. Add remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
5. Bake in the oven until eggs are set and the top is golden brown. About 25 minutes.
Recipe alternatives: here are some ingredients you could add if you have them on hand: bacon would be delicious, so would diced ham, sun-dried tomatoes, different cheeses, or sausage. Hate mushrooms? Leave them out. Add what you like!
Don't have a cast-iron pan.? Go buy one. They're awesome. You can also use an oven-friendly pan. But really, you need a cast-iron pan. Just make sure your pan doesn't have a plastic handle and don't forget your oven mitts when the pan is out of the oven. Don't touch the handle!!