Cold winter days always make me think of eating chili. It's so warm and filling. It feeds a crowd, or in our case just three people for days. It freezes well (if you don't feel like eating it for days.) And tastes great with cornbread muffins.
I've had some bad luck with chili in the past. For some reason, I had issues getting the seasoning right so I usually buy the Carroll Shelby Chili seasoning packet. It's ridiculous. I know I can make my own seasoning mix. I have all the spices. I just need to try a little harder.
Trader Joe's had a chili seasoning jar so I picked that up too (just in case!) If you shop at Trader Joe's you're in luck. A lot of the ingredients are from TJs! Of course, you can also find most items at your local grocery store.
Spicy Turkey Chili Recipe
1 T olive oil
1 large yellow onion diced
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 red bell pepper diced
2 lb ground turkey
1 tsp Trader Joe's Chili Onion Crunch (optional)
1 (15oz) can Trader Joe's organic pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (14.5oz) can Trader Joe's organic diced and fire-roasted tomatoes with green chiles
1 (15oz) can Trader Joe's organic tomato sauce
1 T tomato paste (the tube of tomato paste is great when you only need 1T!)
3 cups of water
3 T Trader Joe's chili seasoning
2 T chili powder
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
Thickener: 2 tsp corn starch + 3 T of water
Chili topping: grated sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions (optional)
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil and cook your onions for a few minutes before you add the diced bell pepper, garlic, and ground turkey.
2. Once the turkey is cooked through add in all the other ingredients (except the beans!)
3. Simmer covered on low for an hour or so.
4. Add the beans in the last 15 minutes of cooking.
5. To thicken the chili, mix the corn starch and water in a small bowl. Gradually stir the mixture into the pot of chili. Let simmer 15 minutes more.
6. Serve with grated cheese, sour cream, and green onions (optional)
I hope you enjoy it!
Click here for the EASY cornbread muffin recipe.