Cheesy, creamy goodness with a light crunchy topping. It doesn't get better than this.
We ate this last Saturday after watching the 49ers game. What a game, right?! So exciting. We were screaming and yelling which totally freaked out Elli and the dogs. It was the best game I've watched in a very long time. Okay, so really, it's the only game I've watched in a really long time. I picked a good one!
As soon as it was over I made the mac and cheese and fired up the grill for barbequed pork chops. It tasted so good. It totally hit the spot.
Of course I probably should have halved the recipe or used a larger baking dish as the recipe states because this is what it looked like when I pulled it out of the oven!
Thank goodness I used my brain and put this bad boy on a cookie sheet.
Too bad I didn't think before grabbing a spoon to get a taste, cuz I burned my tongue on the hot cheese. A total Homer moment.
White Cheddar Mac and Cheese
serves 6 to 8
1 pound elbow macaroni
1 quart milk
1 stick butter (8T)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups white cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 t. freshly ground black pepper
1 t. salt
fresh nutmeg (optional)
1 large tomato, sliced thin
1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Add 1T salt to a large pot of boiling water. Add the macaroni and cook according to package directions. Do not overcook. Drain well.
2. Heat the milk in a small saucepan.
3. In the pasta pot, melt 6 T butter. Add the flour and cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk.
4. Add the hot milk and cook for a minute or two more, until thick and smooth.
5. Take off the heat. Add the cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper and a few grates of the fresh nutmeg. (not too much.)
6. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well.
7. Pour into a 3-quart baking dish.
8. Slice the tomato and arrange on top.
9. Melt the remaining 2T butter in a small pan. Combine with the Panko bread crumbs and sprinkle on top.
10. Place dish on a cookie sheet and bake for 30-35 minutes or until the sauce is bubbly and the top is brown.
Serve with yummy grilled pork chops and a salad and you will have a very happy family. Hopefully you have a large family because this makes a lot. Better yet, have a party. Fire up the grill and invite some friends over.
|White Cheddar Mac and Cheese|
ps. Yes, I am well aware that eating mac and cheese is not exactly going to help me lose 10 pounds. Neither is drinking wine. So that's why I have salad at lunch.
I am forever searching for the perfect mac n' cheese recipe. Tomato on top, huh? I'll give it a shot!ReplyDelete
Hi Jen! It's really tasty, and flexible. You can leave off the tomatoes and the breadcrumbs if kids don't like that. I usually put the tomatoes on half.Delete
If you don't want the breadcrumbs you can serve it without baking it.