There's nothing like a quick dinner of pot stickers, rice and a steamed veggie.
This is exactly what we ate on Saturday night (minus the veggie) before Elli's dance recital. Don and my sister Kathy volunteered to make dinner while I got Elli's hair ready and her dance costumes organized.
Kathy was in charge of the rice. Don was going to make the pot stickers. I watched her pour the rice in the pan and I immediately thought "oooh, she's not doing it right" she should bring the water to a boil first. But I had other things to do so I left her alone to make rice and I left the kitchen.
Boy am I glad I kept my big mouth shut, because she made the BEST sticky rice. We sat down to eat and I couldn't believe how perfectly sticky it was. The chopstick was begging for a dip in the pan. The rice literally stuck like glue. It was awesome!!
I asked her to share her recipe (of course.) She learned how to make it from Aki Mori a Japanese exchange student who lived with them over 10 years ago. So this is a very authentic, and special recipe I'm sharing with you.
Kathy claims it comes out perfect every time, even with brown rice.
Aki's Sticky Rice
1) Pour 1 cup Jasmine rice in a pan. (also works with brown rice.)
2) Rinse rice 2-3 times until less milky looking.
3) Add water to the level of one finger tip above rice (~3/4 inch)
4) Add salt.
5) Bring to a boil, uncovered.
6) Turn down to simmer, cover, and cook for 13 minutes (exactly.)
7) Turn off heat and let sit covered for 10 minutes. (do not uncover or fluff until done.)
I'm so glad I was able to teach YOU something about cooking Ha! Crazy. Let's see, what else can I teach you......how about my special single serving rice krispie treats? :-)ReplyDelete
okay, you better spill the beans now!Delete
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.ReplyDelete