Elli and I stopped at a little market in Sonoma called The Fruit Basket. I love stopping at this place on my way home from Napa.
The fruit and vegetables seem so fresh compared to the grocery store. Plus I just like the little market. It's kind of like shopping at a farmers market, but it's open every day.
I have a bad habit of planning my meal while I'm at the store. So I shop all the time. And this place has become my dinner companion. I just see what looks good that day.
They have lots of different packages of rice and pasta in addition to the fruit and veggies. Elli wanted to try a bunch of different stuff including quinoa. Who knew? So watch for that as soon as I figure out what to do with it.
But back to tonight's dinner. I had chicken thawing in the fridge, I just needed to turn it into something. I saw tortillas and immediately knew I wanted to make fajitas. I grabbed an onion, some peppers (yellow, red, and jalapeno), the tortillas and some sour cream. We have cheese and salsa at home. Done.
I decided to make everything on the grill. This would make it easy and be good practice for our next camping expedition which believe it or not is next week. Wah wah wah.
Somebody pinch me.
|Lots of veggies - red, yellow and jalapeno peppers, cherry tomatoes, asparagus and onion|
4 chicken breasts
1 onion sliced thin
1 yellow pepper, cored and sliced
1 red pepper, cored and sliced
1 jalapeno pepper, cored and sliced
1/2 bunch of asparagus (optional)
1/2 package of cherry tomatoes
Penzey's Fajita Seasoning
Tortillas (warmed for a few seconds in the microwave)
Toppings: Shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado slices or guacamole
1. Season chicken breasts with a sprinkling of fajita seasoning on each side and a drizzle of olive oil. Let sit for at least an hour. Overnight would be best.
2. Preheat grill for 15 minutes on high.
3. Set large skillet (to grill the veggies) on the grill, turn heat down to med-high.
4. Place onions on the pan with some olive oil, and the chicken on the grill. Shut the grill lid. Set timer for 4:30.
5. Flip the chicken and add the rest of the veggies to the grill pan. Set timer for 4:30.
6. Stir veggies a few times. They should get a nice char. The onions might turn black. Don't despair. They taste good this way.
7. Remove chicken. Let rest a few minutes then slice into thin strips.
NOW, MAKE THE FAJITAS! Take a tortilla, add cheese and sour cream. Top with a few strips of chicken, the grilled veggies, salsa and avocado.
Now you could serve this with something else like beans or rice. But you really don't need to. Just eat the fajita/taco/burrito thing and be happy. Oh what the heck. Serve it with a margarita! THAT would be good.
And the best part? The house does not smell like grilled onions for two days because you grilled them outside.
That dish looks so yummy! As soon as our temp drops a little (109) I'll be outside grilling those vegies........ReplyDelete
A Delicious post!ReplyDelete