This seems to be happening more and more as I get older. Which is totally uncool when you have a little beacon of light living under the same roof - bursting with holiday joy!
It's a good thing I (still) work for an ad agency with a bunch of comp (free) magazines in the mail room. Because I still like reading magazines. There are some things I like to read online. But I really like reading magazines. I save them. I mark pages. I tear out pages with recipes or decorating ideas, and eventually toss the rest of the magazine to be recycled. Otherwise I would save every issue and not have any room in the house to walk. Trust me. I'm a saver. A few pages is better than the whole thing.
I like reading all the stories and different articles. Especially in Southern Living. They cover everything from decorating, cooking, travel, health, beauty - all with a lovely southern twist.
I think some magazines are making a bit of a come-back. Circulation of all print media took a drastic nose dive a few years ago, which caused some publications to close. Gourmet Magazine closed down last year. Very sad.
I love the convenience of media on the internet as a resource and research tool. But in my opinion, nothing beats the original printed piece. Unless you have an iPad, it's hard to get cozy with a 17" laptop on your lap. It's just not made for reading while snuggled under the covers.
So now I have a small pile of ideas that I ripped out of the magazine.
- Milk Chocolate Peppermint Bark recipe. Yum.
- Potato Gratin with Rosemary Crust. To serve with a holiday ham. mmmmm.
- Spicy Cheddar Cheese Straws to serve while having cocktails. Uh huh.
- Pomegranate 101 guide. Did you know that when selecting a pomegranate, the heavier the fruit is, the juicier it will be. See. Bet you didn't know that. Now you do.
- Plaid is in this year. Didn't know that.
- I now know how to make a pretty window decoration with sprigs of boxwood, eucalyptus and lemons. Excellent.
- And step-by-step instructions on how to make a smoky eye look easy. It's pretty idiot proof. I think even I could figure it out. Now I just need to be invited to a party.
- Cute reading nook idea for Elli's room (pictured below.) So cute. Elli would love this.
|**Picture from Southern Living Magazine|
You can link to all the recipes in the December Issue here. That's the kind of thing I like about the internet.
Now if only my house would be all decorated when I got home tonight and have that yummy smell of pine needles and cinnamon candles......wouldn't that be nice?
What have you been doing to get in the holiday spirit?
So, you are a saver. Well, at least you know where you picked up that gene.ReplyDelete
Your ever lovin'and ever savin' Dad.
Dad, they make shows about people like you!!!!!! he he heReplyDelete