Don't you love dinners that only include a few ingredients? Are yummy and easy to make. And include bacon? Plus, for those of you that don't like tomato sauce (mom) you're in luck! No tomatoes in this one.
Now we're talking, right?
This recipe is adapted from the Jamie Oliver iphone app 20 Minute Meals. I've had really good success with his recipes. The ONLY thing that bugs me is following the recipe on my phone. I'm a bit of a messy cook. So constantly touching my phone is not the best idea. But I manage.
Bacon and Asparagus Pasta
1 lb of pasta (we used rigatoni)
4 slices of smokey bacon (I used 4 slices from the butcher)
1 medium bunch of asparagus (Trader Joe's Frozen asparagus worked great!)
4 T light sour cream (or 4 heaping spoonfuls)
2 oz grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
1. Prepare pasta according to packet instructions. Make sure you salt the pasta water with 1T salt.
2. Roughly chop bacon and add to a hot frying pan with just a splash of olive oil. Fry until crispy. Remove from heat. Soak up most of the bacon grease with a paper towel. Add the sour cream to the bacon and mix together. mmmm
3. Grate the Parmesan and set aside.
4. Roughly chop the asparagus. Add to the pasta water one minute before the pasta is ready.
5. When your pasta and asparagus are done, scoop out a cupful of water for later, then drain everything in a colander.
6. Add pasta and asparagus to frying pan. Toss. Add Parmesan. Stir everything together.
7. Add a splash or two of reserved pasta water if sauce is too thick.
8. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
9. Serve with remaining Parmesan cheese.
This recipe is really flexible. I'm sure you could use leftover chicken instead of bacon. Or another veggie instead of asparagus. Or regular sour cream instead of light. We just happened to have light. I love recipes like that.
Let me know if you make it and tweak anything!