Baking is like science, right?
When you don't exactly have all the ingredients for a recipe it's like creating an experiment. It could be really good. Or as I know from personal experience, it could be really, really bad. I got lucky today.
I wanted to make pancakes but the recipe I had called for 3 cups of buttermilk which I didn't have. I checked in the fridge, I had one cup of whole milk. So I cut the recipe in half and used my milk plus some water to net one and a half cups of liquid.
I knew this would make a thin batter so I decided to make crepes instead. My family would never know that the original plan was to make pancakes.
I had blueberries and raspberries that I could roll inside, and white chocolate chips for Elli. She would love that.
And the result?
Yum. Yum. Yum.
They could have been a little thinner. But no one here was complaining.
Maybe I should call them thin pancakes?
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 1/2 T sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup whole milk, plus 1/2 cup water
2 T melted butter, unsalted
Cinnamon sugar for sprinkling
Fillings: blueberries, raspberries, white chocolate
Toppings: pure maple syrup, powdered sugar
Makes 7 crepes
1. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar with a whisk.
2. Add egg, milk and melted butter. Combine. There will be some lumps. The batter will be thin.
3. Let rest 10-15 minutes.
4. Heat your griddle on medium heat.
5. Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup (or ladle) to scoop the batter and pour on the pan. Swirl the pan around to spread it out.
6. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top.
7. Flip once you see a lot of bubbles in the batter.
8. Once flipped, top with a little bit of fruit or chocolate chips, then fold one side at a time.
9. Serve with maple syrup or a dusting of powdered sugar.
I served each crepe one at a time as they came off the griddle.
You can easily double this recipe. Or make pancakes by substituting the watery milk for buttermilk.
Yum! I can't believe you improvised these crepes! They look fantastic!ReplyDelete
these look soooooo DeLISH! :)
Yum! I would actually take a crepe over a pancake any day. My mum would make us crepes with lemon and sugar. So good.ReplyDelete
Sounds delicious! I'm no good at throwing things together like that. Thanks for sharing.ReplyDelete
Visiting from RDC:)