Everyone has their Christmas morning traditions. One of our long standing traditions is enjoying a hot cheesy breakfast casserole after all the presents have been opened and the kids are hyped up on Christmas candy at 9am.
We have two recipes. One with chiles and one without. We vary it depending on our mood - and who is there. The casserole is perfect because you assemble it the night before and just have to pop it in the oven in the morning. It's also great to serve when you have company in town. Add a fruit salad and you have breakfast for a crowd.
It would also be perfect for New Year's Day when you're not quite ready to jump in the kitchen and need to feed people. Know what I mean?
Spicy Breakfast Casserole
4-6 slices wheat bread buttered, no crusts
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1 lb mild sausage, cooked
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles, drained
2 t. diced jalapeno
9 large eggs (or 7 xl eggs)
1 c. milk
1 t. salt
1 t. oregano
1/2 t. paprika
1/4 t. garlic powder
1 t. prepared mustard
dash of fresh ground pepper
1. Grease 9 x 13 casserole dish
2. Place bread butter side down in 9 x 13 pan (use 4-6 slices)
3. Cover with jack cheese. Sprinkle sausage over cheese. Cover with cheddar cheese.
4. Sprinkle green chiles over cheese.
5. Combine eggs, milk and remaining ingredients. Mix well. Pour over mixture in pan.
6. Bake 325º for 50-60 minutes until firm.
Egg and Cheddar Breakfast Casserole
4 slices bread
1 lb bulk breakfast sausage
1 c. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 c. milk
1 t. dry mustard
1 t. salt
Pepper to taste
1. Grease 9 x 13 baking dish.
2. Brown sausage and drain off fat.
3. Tear up bread and put in greased baking dish.
4. Spoon sausage over bread. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Beat together eggs, milk, dry mustard, salt and pepper.
6. Pour over mixture in baking dish.
7. Prepare the night before and refrigerate.
8. Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes.